我学会了Basque Burnt Cheesecakewhen I was back in Japan over the summer of 2019. It seemed like every Japanese Instagrammer I followed was sharing their version of this cheesecake. I made a mental note to find out more about the craze, but 2 years went by, and it had totally slipped off my radar.
Since then, I’ve made more than 10 different Basque Burnt Cheesecake, fiddling between slightly different methods and ratios. Among the methods, I also made “Japanese-style” Basque Burnt Cheesecake which was actually preferred by my family and some friends. This Basque Burnt Cheesecake recipe is what’s considered typical Basque Burnt Cheesecake, and next week I’ll share the Japanese-style recipe.
What is Basque Burnt Cheesecake?
Basque Cheesecake or Basque Burnt Cheesecake was created in 1990 by a chef namedSantiago Rivera西班牙圣塞巴斯蒂安的一家名为LaViña的餐厅。如果您有兴趣，请阅读this articleorthis articlethat explains how this cake was invented and became popular.
Besides its obvious “burnt” look, here are some of the characteristics of this cheesecake:
- Flavor:Simply put, it tastes like a caramelized cheesecake in one bite. It has a good balance of bitterness from the burnt exterior and sweetness from the creamy custardy interior.
- Difficulty:This is绝对是最简单的芝士蛋糕我曾经做过。我告诉乔克先生，一个从未在他的生活中烘烤的人可以用这芝士蛋糕打动亲人！
- Baking:The cheesecake is finished baking in half the time compared to regular cheesecake! Bake at a higher temperature to achieve that rich, dark caramelized exterior surface, yet the center of the cheesecake is still jiggly.
- 时间：Mix ingredients, bake for 30-35 minutes, and chill. Fast and easy!
If you look up this recipe online, you will realize that most recipes are pretty simple and straightforward. They all have the following ingredients, with slightly different ratios according to the baker’s take.
- 奶油奶酪（费城，不是whippedcream cheese or reduced-fat)
- Sugar (Standard granulated sugar, I used organic cane sugar)
- Eggs (Large eggs, 50 g each without shell)
- Heavy (whipping) cream (36-38% fat)
- Flour (I used cake flour)
Some people would also add vanilla, lemon juice, and salt, and that’s it.
Overview: How to Make Basque Burnt Cheesecake
The full printable/written recipe with step-by-step pictures is below.
- 预热烤箱至少30 minutes. Also bring the cream cheese, eggs, and heavy cream to room temp.
- Pour the batter into a cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool completely at room temperature (about 2-3 hours).
- Chill in the fridge, and enjoy!
Just 3 Tools You Need
As it’s a relatively heavy dessert (2 blocks of cream cheese in this tiny cake!), I find this 3-inch deep6-inch round cake panwith removable bottom perfect for 6 people.
- A taller cake looks more elegant and pretty when you think about the per-serving size.
- It’s easier to sustain/control the creaminess when it’s small and tall (a flat cake will cook too fast).
- If your cake pan is 2-inch deep, you need the parchment paper to stay up to sustain the cake batter.
The baked cheesecake will rise above the cake pan rim. As such, it is important to use a cake pan at least 3-inches deep.
If you like to use a larger pan (say 8-inch or 9-inch round), this recipe will create a short and shallow cheesecake. It will not produce the same rich and luscious texture.
You canmultiply the recipe by 1.5为了容纳3英寸深的7英寸圆盘，或multiply the recipe by 2to accommodate for a 3-inch deep 8-inch round pan.
2. Parchment Paper
You need parchment paper, not wax paper. Some parchment paper is wide (like one from Costco) but typical parchment paper is not wide enough, so use two sheets to cover the shorter side of parchment paper.
This is an excellent recipe for any beginner to try.You can do this!
One of the unique features of this Basque Burnt Cheesecake is the doneness. You can totally customize it according to your preference, whether it’s creamy, or creamy with an oozy ‘raw’ center, or a firmer texture, like the regular cheesecake.
To achievea creamy texture:
- Bake at a normal time in the oven.
- The cheesecake filling will firm up as it cools to create a creamy yet firm texture. You can serve once it’s at room temperature.
- If you chill, take out 30 minutes prior to serving.
To achievea firmer texture:
- Chill in the fridge for a longer time.
- Take out 10 minutes before serving or serve it cold.
- Chill overnight. To slice a cake nicely, refrigeration is necessary.
Read These Helpful Tips Before Making
- Use the对流烘烤（带风扇的烤箱）如果有一个。如果您只有conventional（常规）烘烤选项，将机架带到更高的位置。热量升高，因此上烤箱应该更热。但是，如果您的烤箱是最高的加热，请确保羊皮纸不会接触加热元件/天花板。
- Line your cake pan with parchment paper. Don’t skip this.
- In my recipe, I show you how I line my cake pan.
- Depending on the position of the oven rack, you can keep the excess parchment paper up or fold down, or trimmed. I fold down mine as I use a 3-inch deep cake pan that can support the height of the cake.
- Make sure cream cheese, eggs, and heavy cream are at room temperature. Room temperature ingredients blend together very easily, creating a smooth batter. A smooth batter will yield a uniformly textured baked good. Cold ingredients do not incorporate together as easily.
- After multiple testings, I find 100 g (½ cup) sugar is perfect for this cake.
- For the flour, I use cake flour because it has less gluten and I typically use cake flour when making cakes. I assume all-purpose flour will be fine. Since I don’t want to introduce more gluten to the batter, I substitute some of the flour with cornstarch, making the cake lighter and less chewy. Flour or starch binds moisture in the cheesecake and holds the structure, but you do not want to introduce too much (it becomes firm). If you want to make itgluten-free, you can substitute the flour with rice flour.
- 美国人heavy (whipping) cream is 38 % fat.
To Make The Batter
- 重要的是：防止创建肿块比摆脱肿块要容易得多。因此，当您添加每种成分时，将所有内容混合在一起completelyand彻底before adding the next. Press the spatula down in a rubbing motion to remove cream cheese lumps. Further steps go, the batter gets more liquid, which means it’s harder to get rid of lumps. So if you see any lumps, get rid of them as soon as possible.
- It’s a fact: every oven is different, and this can ultimately influence the result of the cheesecake. Even if you follow my recipe to the T, you may not get the exact same texture as mine. I’ve used: convection (fan), middle rack, top, and bottom heat to finalize the best method for the cheesecake. Please use your judgment and close observation as you bake.
- Put the cake pan into the oven FAST. Don’t lose the hot air!
- Observe the color of the top surface while you check on your baking time. Sometimes, you may have to give up on the color as you can’t keep baking. Sometimes you have to reduce the oven temperature because your cake burns too fast. Like I said earlier, every oven is different, so test and adapt.
- I recommend NOT opening the oven (which loses heat) at all, and don’t worry about turning the cake pan. Avoid any hot spots and find an even heating spot so the entire cake gets cooked at a consistent temperature.
- Let the cheesecake rest and set as it sinks down. It will continue to slowly bake and solidify with residual heat.
- 温暖你的刀with hot water. I fill a tall mug cup with boiling water and dunk the knife before each slice. Bring a towel or paper towel to quickly wipe the knife.
- Cut in one slice motion and pull out the knife so each slice of the cake has a clean cut.
- 如果您的蛋糕冷淡/冷，我可以建议加热a little in the microwave? We thought it brings out the flavor of the cream cheese and it’s actually very delicious!
I can’t get the top to burn nicely. What can I do?
I can relate, and I really struggled with my oven too. What helped me are:
- Use the convection oven (as I mentioned earlier).
- Bake at a higher rack as heat rises so the upper oven is supposed to be hotter. However, if your oven is top heating, make sure the parchment paper is not touching the heating element/ceiling.
You canmultiply the recipe by 1.5为了容纳3英寸深的7英寸圆盘，或multiply the recipe by 2to accommodate for a 3-inch deep 8-inch round pan. You will need to increase the baking time, but since I’ve never tried it, I am not sure how long you will need to bake. As I mentioned in the post, I still recommend this 6-inch cake and bake two cake pans if you want to increase the serving size. It will take slightly longer to bake as you have multiple cake pans in the oven.
When I made my cake batter with a stand mixer or a hand-held whisk, the cake batter seemed to rise higher, sometimes unevenly, and then collapsed, which created some cracks. It seemed inevitable as more air bubbles were trapped inside. I’ve tried tapping the cake pan, popping the air bubbles, and resting the batter before baking, which seemed to help a little.
I baked a few cheesecakes with tiny bubbles on the surface before. I’m sure the batter in your cake pan had tiny bubbles before baking it too, or they rose while baking. Follow the same method I shared in the previous Q&A.
Why my cheesecake has a gooey, raw texture in the middle?
I assume you get the gooey texture even after you chill the cake. Then you have to bake the cake for a little longer next time. My oven doesn’t work the same way as yours, and I can only provide suggested baking time or baking temperature using my own oven.
我们喜欢介绍我们的朋友的最独特的庆祝饮料之一是sparkling sake. It is quite popular in Japan and slowly getting more popular in the US.
If you haven’t tried sparkling sake before, the taste profile for sparkling sake is nothing like traditional sake. It’s sweet, fruity, and really gentle on the palate. It also has a much lower ABV than traditional sake (5% ABV similar to a beer).
We would recommend enjoying this cheesecake with a glass of sweet wine and we paired it with our favoriteMio闪闪发光的清酒(part of Sho Chiku Bai Shirakabegura series). The sweetness and the bright notes of the sparking sake complemented the sweet and caramel flavor of the cheesecake really well. The addition of tiny bubbles adding just a bit of texture accentuates the creamy texture as you sip on this delightful drink.
When we introduce our friends toMio闪闪发光的清酒, many of them surprised by what a fun and delicious drink it is. If you’re looking for a new celebratory drink to try and like sake’s depth of flavors, give Mio sparkling sake a try!
Where to Buy Mio
Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- 1磅cream cheese(226 g x 2 blocks; I used Philadelphia; at room temperature)
- 3大鸡蛋（每个无壳50 g）(at room temperature)
- 2汤匙cake flour(you can use all-purpose flour; use rice flour forgluten-free)
- 2tspcornstarch(you can substitute with flour)
- 1杯子heavy (whipping) cream（36-38％的脂肪；在室温下）
- ⅛tspkosher/sea salt (I use Diamond Crystal; use half for table salt)
Gather all the ingredients.
Preheat theconvectionoven (with fan) to 450ºF (230ºC). If you don’t have an oven with fan, preheat the conventional oven to 475ºF (245ºC). If your oven doesn’t get hot very well, you can preheat to the hottest oven temperature (mine is 550ºF (290ºC)) for 30-60 minutes. As for the oven rack, I used the middle rack for the convection oven (the fan circulates the air, so the middle rack is ideal). If you use the conventional oven, move the rack slightly higher as heat rises and the top of the oven is higher temperature. However, keep in mind that a 3-inch deep cake pan needs extra space for rising.
Gently take out the removable bottom and the parchment-paper “mold”. Place the removable bottom back into the cake pan (as it should be). Then place the parchment-paper “mold” into the cake pan. Press the paper down to fit perfectly.
Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature. If not, microwave the cold cream cheese at half power (50%) for 45 seconds, or microwave at 15 seconds incremental.
Press down the cream cheese and make it soft. Then add sugar.
Combine cream cheese with sugar by rubbing the mixture with the spatula against the bowl. The cream cheese will become fluffy and smooth as the sugar granules disappear.
刮碗和抹刀经常以确保nothing sticks to them and that there are no lumps.
Slowly and gradually add the beaten egg 3 separate times. Don’t add the egg until the batter is smooth and with no lumps.
In each addition, blend it with cream cheese COMPLETELY and THOROUGHLY.
Add the rest of the egg and blend well.
Scrap off the batter from the bowl and spatula and make sure there are no lumps in the batter. Then add lemon juice.
Sift the cake flour and cornstarch a little bit as you stir and blend together. Then sift more and continue as you finish sifting and blending in all the flour. Take your time to do this. You don’t want any lumps.
加盐并混合在一起。确保在此阶段（在添加浓奶油 - 更多液体之前）没有团块。
Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan in one go (avoid stop-and-go) so the air pockets don’t go in. Tap the cake pan on the countertop a few times.
With a bamboo skewer or toothpick, pop the air bubbles if there are any, and then run the batter with it to remove any bubbles. If you’re not sure if the cheesecake may overflow, bake the cheesecake on a baking sheet, just in case. Mine never did, but I use it as it’s easier to transfer the cake pan from and to the oven.
Transfer the cake pan to the oven and bake at 450ºF (230ºC) (or 475ºF (245ºC) if conventional oven) until the top is dark amber/brown and the center is still very jiggly, about30-35 minutes(请留意你的芝士蛋糕,因为夏娃ry oven is different). My top doesn’t start becoming dark until a 30-minute mark, then within 5 minutes, it starts to get dark brown. If you love the “gooey/ oozy”质地和烘烤时间比我提供的时间少，然后您必须在食用前放松。NEVER overcook the cake by extending the bake time, even though the top doesn't turn dark. The texture of the filling will become curdled and you can't fix it. You probably need to adjust the oven temperature (or oven rack or preheating time) next time you make it.
You can store the cheesecake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.