Making a beautiful cheese board to entertain guests and friends! Here are some quick step by step guides to creating a beautiful and well-balanced cheese board that everyone will remember!
When you host a party, one of the easiest appetizers that you can put together is a cheese board. You can prepare and set ahead of time, and it’s the perfect treat to welcome and greet your guests. A full stock cheese board will keep your guests entertained and delighted while you’re in the kitchen preparing the main meal.
Step-by-Step Tutorials on How To Make The BestCheese Board
The purpose of my tutorial is meant for beginners. With this tutorial, anyone should be able to make a pretty good cheese board.
Step 1: Pick a cheese board
I’ve been using different shapes of cutting boards for my cheese board in the past, but this time I enjoyed making a cheese board with这款美丽的奶酪板岩板。I received it as a gift fromSlate Plate。I always wanted to get a slate board, so this partnership worked out perfectly and I had so much fun creating the largest cheese board (size: 12″ x 24″) I had ever made.
Here is my quick feedback on my first time using a slate board.
- 可以绘制：With a slate board, you can easily use white chalk to write messages, name of food, and doodle artwork.
- 简单to clean and lightweight:It’s easy to clean and lighter than wooden or marble cheese boards in case you plan to cheese board to a party. You can even put the finished cheese board in the refrigerator as it doesn’t take up much space compared to the wooden or marble cheese board.
- Slate board (I usedthis 12″ x 24″– great for a big party.)
- Wooden cutting board
The important key for a good cheese board is to have different types of MILK SOURCES, TEXTURES, FLAVORS, COLORS, and SHAPES. Display the cheesein a clockwise方向，从柔软到坚定，并用蓝芝士结束。
Milk Sources:cow, sheep, goat, combination, etc.
Textures:Cheese comes in different textures – soft, semi-soft, semi-hard, hard, crumbly.
- Fresh cheese:湿润，奶油和温和。例子：Burrata，Chèvre（山羊），弗塔，马苏里拉
- Bloomy-rind soft cheese:buttery, creamy, and mushroomy. Examples: Camembert, Champignon, Brillat-Savarin, La Tur, double/triple-creme Brie, Humboldt Fog (goat)
- Semi-soft cheese: pliable, mellow, and earthy. Examples: Fontina, Midnight moon (goat), Morbier, Pyrenees Brebis
- 半硬奶酪：firm, mild, delicate. Examples: Emmental, Gruyère, Manchego, Mimolette, P’tit Basque (sheep)
- Aged/Firm cheese:dry, savory, and caramel-y. Examples: aged Gouda, clothbound Cheddar, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Piave
- Blue cheese:pungent. Examples: Cambozola, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Stilton
Flavors:similarly, cheese comes in different strength – from mild to stinky.
Colors:The majority of the cheese is pale yellow but there are some orange cheese and some with other ingredients like mushrooms inside the cheese.
Shapes:圆形，矩形，三角形等 - 它为奶酪板添加了角色。
For this cheese board, I used:Organic Mt. Tam Triple Creme Cowgirl Creamery (CA, USA), Truffle Gouda by KLare Melk (Netherlands), Midnight Moon Aged Goat Gouda Cypress Grove (CA, USA), P’tit Basque Istara (France), Bella Vistano Rum Runner Sartori, (WI, USA), Piave Lattlebursche (Italy), and Cambozola Black Label Champignon (Germany).
How much cheese is enough?
不同的消息来源说不同的东西......但总的来说，每人3-4盎司（85-113克）似乎是一个很好的数字。您可以随身用蜡纸或羊皮纸包装剩余的奶酪（这是如何做) and store it in the fridge.
Do & Don’t
Step 3: Add salty foods
I usually put 3 types of salty foods.
Nuts:Nuts for crunch! Marcona almonds, candied walnuts/pecans are excellent (I know, these are sweet and should be in the next section). My family’s current favorite is Trader Joe’s Salt & Pepper Pistachios.
Step 4: Add sweet foods
之间有一个小破可口的和丰富的cheese and salty foods, it’s nice to have sweet foods. For this section, I usually put fresh and dried fruits.
干果：Dried apricots are a must. Look at the color it brings to the cheese board – it’s like a jewel. It also goes well with some of the cheese! I also like to add cranberries. The best part about dried fruits is that they are available all year round.
My favorite cracker choices areLa Panzanella Mini Croccantini crackers(love all 3 – original, rosemary, and roasted garlic!), and Brioche toasts and Raisin Rosemary Crisps from Trader Joe’s. My kids love breadsticks and I sometimes serve baguettes.
You can pile your choice of crackers and bread on the cheese board where there are openings, and you can add more when the stack is low.
You can totally go without spreads/condiments. BUT some of them I listed here might be in your kitchen. Plus, it’s more fun with contrasting flavors and textures.
- Cornichons – great with meats.
- Fig jam – goes well with both sweet and savory.
- Honey – drizzle on blue cheese and goat cheese.
- Preserves – anything you like or you have in the back of your pantry.
- Tapenade – adds nice saltiness!
- 全谷物芥末 - 伟大的香肠和肉类。
I wished that I had thesemini stainless steel cupsfor condiments at the time of shooting (now I have them). They are great for saving some space.
Step 7: Pick some wines
Aia Vecchia Wine Review
什么是奶酪和腌制的肉类？葡萄酒！最近我们有机会尝试Vermentino和AIA Vecchia Winery的ugoby Pellegrini family. The winery is located in the Bolgheri wine region on the Tuscan coast. The Sor Ugo is a red wine blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot. The Vermentino is 95% Vermentino and 5% Viognier. Both wines were super delicious and worked really well with the cheese plate.
The Vermentino had the sweet aroma of honey and honeydew and smelled refreshing. As your drink, you taste flavorful sweet summer fruits. The texture is creamy and ends with a white peppery spice. Sor Ugo was completely different, instead of playful and fun, it was mature and rich. It smelled of vineyards, berries, and oak. As you drink, you taste blackberries, licorice, herbs, and also had a peppery dry finish. The texture was very velvety, yet clear and crisp.
We shared the wines with our friends as we enjoyed the cheese board and everyone loved the two wines from Aia Vecchia.
- Display some of the cheeses as a whole, and cut some in different shapes like wedges, cubes, spears, pies.
Growing up in Japan, the common cheese was “process(ed) cheese” (プロセスチーズ). After WWII, food companies tried to bring in American cheese to Japan. However, a block shape of cheese reminded the Japanese of the soap and the flavors were way too strong for Japanese taste.
The processed cheese made in Japan use gouda and cheddar cheese which were more mild to eat. Then companies like Kraft started to sell sliced cheese and “pizza cheese” using processed cheese.
Various imported cheese is gaining popularity in recent years, and you can visit department store basements and international supermarkets for a decent selection. What I’ve noticed in the past few years is even in the regular local supermarkets the cheese sections seem to be slightly expanding.
If you want to check out other appetizer ideas, read10.简单Holiday Appetizers, Salads, & Desserts。